E30 2.0 to 2.5 swap?

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

User avatar
Greenun
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:52 pm

Hello all, been a lurker on here since I got my e30 320 and now I've sorted the body, wheels ect I'm turning my attention to the engine.
Originally I wanted to keep the 2.0 as let's be honest it's never gonna be a race car especially with the auto box :wink:
But looking about the 2.5 seems to be the choice to have
Question is would a 2.5 block manni ect bolt up to the auto box and run ok with the 2.0 electrics?
Is it really as simple as swapping just the whole engine?

Cars in the past I've done needed looms ecu's ect

Any info would be great
Thanks in advance

Oh it's a 89-G reg
HairyScreech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Posts: 6265
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:07 am

The 320 loom should work fine, it has all the same features of the 325 loom.

I think I have just gone back to my old 320 loom when I did my recent ECU conversion.
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822

m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
jimbom30cab
Tech 1 freak
Posts: 7631
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:00 pm
Location: in the garage

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:30 am

Might be worth keeping the 2.0 oil filter adaptor (non oil cooler) if you didn't want to fit the oil cooler as part of the 2.5 swap.
HairyScreech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Posts: 6265
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 pm

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:40 pm

Also did that as well, the cooler is not needed with modern synthetic oils and being a mix of steel and alu exposed at the front of the car seem to corrode and leak.
2.8 development thread http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... c&t=170822

m3.3.1 m20 thread - now running, chip needed - any volunteers?
http://www.e30zone.net/modules.php?name ... =viewtopic&
User avatar
Greenun
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:47 pm

Good shout on the oil filter adapter, I'm hoping to get a complete engine with intake, maf and exhaust manifold and fingers crossed it is just a simple swap over, oh and the ecu :D