Rear Sunroof Drains

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

User avatar
Harre30
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:53 pm

Can anyone tell/show me where the rear sunroof drains should exit in my 88' 325i?
The sunroof has been leaking, after periods of heavy rain, when I am braking. The front sunroof drains work fine and clear most of the water out but the rear ones, particularly on the drivers side barely clear anything.
I figure if I can find the exit I can have a go at cleaning them out from the bottom without having to remove the sunroof the clear them?
Any help will be appreciated as I am fed up of getting my head wet when braking in the rain!!! :D [/b]
User avatar
TriggerFish
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 508
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Aylesbury, Bucks

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:04 pm

They run down the C pillar and into the boot.

If you remove the side carpets, you still see a black tube that goes into a plastic trim piece located on the outside of the car - the largest rectangular piece of plastic on the side of the car in this image.

Image

Or like this from the inside of the boot.

Image
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:07 pm

They connect to the vents in the boot that are behind the side extensions of the rear bumper. You need to remove the side bits of the boot liner to get at them. LH vent should also have the drain pipe from the aerial, if fitted, going to it as well.
User avatar
Harre30
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:47 pm

Brilliant, thank you.
From those vents do they just drain directly out from behind the side extensions to the bumper and to the floor?
In terms of cleaning them out, can I just disconnect them from that vent and clean them out or is there a better way?
Thanks
User avatar
TriggerFish
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 508
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:00 pm
Location: Aylesbury, Bucks

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:23 pm

Yes, it just comes out behind a flap (really obvious when you've got it in your hand) and onto the floor. If you're going to remove them to clean them out, it's worth renewing the gaskets on them too. I've just replaced mine, which were very brittle: they're not much ££ from the dealers.

Regarding cleaning them: not sure, sorry. I guess you'd need to be careful about forcing the debris up into the sunroof tray itself if cleaning upwards?
User avatar
Harre30
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:00 pm

Post Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:36 pm

Perfect,
Thanks, il get onto that today!