High Beam bulb change

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

User avatar
Awarded
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: Surrey

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:52 pm

I need to change the high beam bulb but can't get the cap off. I've tried putting oil between the cap and the metal housing but it won't budge.

Any tips? It defiantly does come off?
Cloggy Saint
Old Skooler
Old Skooler
Posts: 8027
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: zummerzet

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Should just be a case of twist and pull. But you knew that!
Image

E30 zone - promoting adult illiteracy since 2004
User avatar
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 49360
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:31 pm

You should have put the oil there several years ago! So called 'white rust' is the problem.
Penetrating fluid might help, but if it won't loosen up, you'll have to put a pair of grips on it and risk it breaking. In most cases they'll free up, but I've had one or two that I've had to destroy to get off.
bigbird76
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 571
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:00 pm
Location: Swansea Wales UK

Post Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:43 pm

You might be able to get a oil filter wrench on it if you dont have grips.
User avatar
Awarded
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: Surrey

Post Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:40 pm

Cheers for the replies, I've decided it is easier to buy another cap and take a hacksaw to the ceased ones.