m20b25 with getrag 240? prop issue
Moderator: martauto
-
bmw9818
- E30 Zone Addict

- Posts: 2561
- Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:00 pm
- Location: Croydon
Quick question currently have a 2.5 with a getrag 260 box want to bolt up a 240 will the standard prop extend the distance if there is, or alternatively I have a 316i. M40 prop as well but will this be strong enough,
-
markus_74
- E30 Zone Camper

- Posts: 1078
- Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:00 pm
- Location: Kudus city, Indonesia
G260 prop shorter than g240 a lot so you can not use it.
I'm from 318i m40 g240 to g260 and I cut the front propshaft about 10cm so total length is 142cm.
I'm from 318i m40 g240 to g260 and I cut the front propshaft about 10cm so total length is 142cm.
-
bimanut
- E30 Zone Camper

- Posts: 1194
- Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:00 pm
- Location: Warrington
Not sure why you'd want to put a g240 box in place of a g260 but you will need the m40 prop which is strong enough to take a m50/2 engine.you will probably also need to to use a m40 gear stick cradle and selector rod.
(I have both if you need some and I need a m20 one
)
(I have both if you need some and I need a m20 one

-
jmc330i
- Engaged to the E30 Zone

- Posts: 6621
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
- Location: Somerset
Are you fitting a 320i G240 box or trying to use an M40 G240 box?
The G240 as used on the 320i has similar 1st, 2nd and 3rd ratios to the 325i Sport box and is much cheaper than a Sport box....bimanut wrote:Not sure why you'd want to put a g240 box in place of a g260
James
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v
'91 325i Sport
'93 318i touring 16v
-
bimanut
- E30 Zone Camper

- Posts: 1194
- Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:00 pm
- Location: Warrington
You learn something new everydayjmc330i wrote:Are you fitting a 320i G240 box or trying to use an M40 G240 box?
The G240 as used on the 320i has similar 1st, 2nd and 3rd ratios to the 325i Sport box and is much cheaper than a Sport box....bimanut wrote:Not sure why you'd want to put a g240 box in place of a g260

-
Brianmoooore
- E30 Zone Team Member

- Posts: 49360
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Second, third, fourth and fifth gears are identical or very close to those of the 'sports' 'box. First gear is considerably different.jmc330i wrote:Are you fitting a 320i G240 box or trying to use an M40 G240 box?
The G240 as used on the 320i has similar 1st, 2nd and 3rd ratios to the 325i Sport box and is much cheaper than a Sport box....bimanut wrote:Not sure why you'd want to put a g240 box in place of a g260
