Installing VDO Gauges

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

Jona1971
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: Staffordshire Moorlands

Post Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:44 pm

Hello,

inspired by the Wiki I am attempting to install VDO gauges in my venerable M10.

Realoem has my oil pressure switch in the oil filter housing as stated in the Wiki. In reality my oil pressure switch is in the distributor flange, also shown on Realoem (same chassis number search).

So, I tried to install my T-piece in the distributor flange but the distributor vacuum thingy is in the way. I've tried to order a shorter T-piece but it doesn't seem to be available in 30mm (M12x1.5) just the 50mm length.

Image

Should I:
1. perservere with the distributor flange installation by rotating the distributor out of the way, and then re-set the timing,
2. drill and tap a nice 12mm hole in the oil filter housing shown in the pic above for my T-piece,
3. buy one of those oil filter sandwich adaptors, or
4. something else?

Any advice, bar changing the engine, greatly received.
:cry:
Moredoor autos with small engines are cool - but my new m20b25 is awesome!
Jona1971
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: Staffordshire Moorlands

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi,

Can I drill and tap that central hole to fit a T-Piece?
Or, am I being daft?
Thanks,
:?
Moredoor autos with small engines are cool - but my new m20b25 is awesome!
DanThe
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 28649
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Staffs

Post Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:59 pm

Whats wrong with the standard oil pressure switch location? Plenty of room up there on the back of the head from what I remember, if it really is a problem you can use a banjo fitting to bring the T piece out away from the hole
Jona1971
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: Staffordshire Moorlands

Post Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:05 pm

Brilliant - never considered a Banjo fitting. Forgive my ignorance, but which type? I've only ever used them on motorbake brakes.

The WIKI (and Realoem) say the standard oil pressure switch location is in that hole in the oil filter housing) but its actually at the back of the head as you say.

Also, smaller hole on banjo fitting = larger pressure reading on the gauge?

Thanks for your input, :)
Moredoor autos with small engines are cool - but my new m20b25 is awesome!
Jona1971
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: Staffordshire Moorlands

Post Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:55 pm

OK, I twiddled my distributor out of the way and the T-piece went in fine. But not with the adaptor and temp sender - with that lot on you can't rotate the distributor back again.

So, I've ordered an oil filter housing gasket from BMW to remove, tap and drill that centre hole to fit the senders.

:)
Moredoor autos with small engines are cool - but my new m20b25 is awesome!
Jona1971
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: Staffordshire Moorlands

Post Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:08 pm

I eventually installed the T-Piece as DanThe suggested - where the oil pressure sender is behind the Distributor on the M10 engine. The only problem was I had to turn the distributor cap 180 degrees and time it off pot 4 instead of No.1 as the T-piece wanted to occupy the same space as part of the distributor assembly.

:)
Moredoor autos with small engines are cool - but my new m20b25 is awesome!
KW355
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: Birmingham

Post Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:18 pm

You mention an oil temp sensor in one of your posts. If you fit that in to a tee piece you will get a false temp reading.
Jona1971
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 474
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: Staffordshire Moorlands

Post Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:23 pm

Aaaahhh, yes it is reading way too low.

Any suggestions?
Moredoor autos with small engines are cool - but my new m20b25 is awesome!
KW355
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:00 pm
Location: Birmingham

Post Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:47 pm

Replied in your other Audi gauge post