E30 gearbox and rear axel swap

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place

Moderator: martauto

jonmsm
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:00 pm

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:48 pm

Hi guys,

I just bought a very pucka little 320i for Ԛ£150 but it has two problems. The gear box is shagged (makes a horrid whinning in 3rd and 5th) and the rear drums are partially ceased. Wondering first of all how easy it is to replace the gearbox, as I have a spare 320i with good running gear, and how easy the drums are to remove from the rear swing arms and/or if I need any special tools or there are any major part revisions to be aware of as the spare car is an A reg and the one I am fixing up is a D reg.

Finally, I have a set of lowering springs on my breaker that I want to swap over and i was wondering roughtly how big a job it is on an e30 to swap the dampers and coils as one (wasn't too much of a biggies on my 535 so hopefully its much the same set up)

Will be most greatful for any help (as I want to get her sorted as soon as possible as she is a present to replace my brothers nackered Carina) :)
1986 e28 M535i (gone and missed)
1988 e30 320i cab (full resto STILL in progress)
1996 Volvo 850 T-5 estate (280bhp Turbo Nutter), T-5R (my precious)
1966 Fiat 850 saloon & 1970 Sport Coupe
C1 (go-kart)
dazleeds
old skool raver
old skool raver
Posts: 12883
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Empire Building @

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:54 pm

hiya mate

from what youve said all should fit perfect both cars are pre facelift so no bother

also it may just be easier to drop the full backaxle and refit to the new car will save a fair bit of unbolting imo

as for the gearbox its not too bad a job to remove and swap not sure on tools but think its all general stuff youll prob have already

not sure which car has your springs on?? but get some spring clamps and its a doddle to do and if you drop axle as well the back ones will just slide in before you bolt the axle back up hth Daz

sure plenty more advice will fly in sooooon :cool:
www.oldskoolfantasy.co.uk
in the shit,the one to blame,yeh its all my fault ;)