1987 325i Sport M-Tech 1, Manual, Gray.

Place where dreams come true - threads will be deleted 60 days after last post.
FEP
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:02 pm

This is a bit tricky as I moved to Nairobi and now, having decided to stay, I want to sell my adored Tech-1 which is in London. If I could bring it to Africa I would but they don't allow imports of cars over 8 years old.
The problem is that I don't have a proper set of photos, but as I will only be back in the UK for 2-3 weeks in October, I'd like to flag the sale up, sooner rather than later.
The car is also very hard to value as it is a genuine Tech-1 with MOT until December 27th and in good running order, but it is also quite tired.
So here are the bad bits:
Rear wings were done about 10 years ago by the previous owner but the job was far from perfect and you can see where the new metalwork was joined in.
The same previous owner resprayed the car in his drive and the finish was never great.
Various small bits of MOT failure rust have been patched over the years. Against my better judgment I took the kit off a year ago or so and the sills have holes at the back. The jacking points are not pretty but the front footwells only get wet in the most severe of rain.
The roof has some nasty patches of rust which have gone from slight bubbling to open scars very slowly over the years. About 3 years ago I put some filler in the holes and sprayed over and to my surprise it is still there and there has NEVER been any leak from the roof.
A passing lorry ripped a hole in the o/s front wing whilst it was parked about 4 years ago. I filled the hole and sprayed the wing but could not get the repair invisible.
Many years ago I found that one of the two glove box mounting studs had turned to dust. To my surprise this clear evidence of rust does not seem to have got much worse - again it does not usually get wet, even driving in the rain.
The loom cable from starter switch to starter motor has a break in it with the result that I have a new starter switch on the steering column and a length of wire running from there, through the bulkhead grommet to the starter - works fine.
The boot did let alot of water in until I heavily siliconed up the rear light clusters - now it is bone dry.
Central locking does not work - the door pillar connectors are the problem.
The electric sun roof will tilt but not slide - trying to slide it usually causes fuse 10 to blow. If you attach a drill to the drive spindle under the cover it will open most of the way back.
The bumpers are rusty and for a restoration probably not savable. The rear bumper had to be reinforced with a steel plate as one of the mounting points is rusty.
The rear o/s brake backing plate is rusty enough for the handbrake shoe support posts not to attach properly any more. Accordingly I re-made the supports with bolts and nuts. It all works fine, but as you drive in town you can hear the shoes rattling around in the drums.
The inner tie rod ends on the steering rack could do with replacing.
The GOOD bits:
This car is fabulous to drive. About 5 years ago following an overheated head incident, I fitted a replacement short engine and took the opportunity to have the flywheel lightened a little. If I remember rightly about 1.5 kilos was taken off. Certainly I was pretty conservative about it having heard horror stories about broken flywheels creating havoc. The result is a sharper throttle response without any drastic drop in smoothness or drivablilty.
At the same time the car had a new radiator and the cooling is faultless.
The car has been very reliable and starts and runs very well. It pulls strongly - in most everyday circumstances it feels faster than my E30 M3.
The steering is NOT power assisted. In my humble opinion this is what makes the car so special. Tech-1's are the ONLY E30's that had a no-power steering option. Whilst slightly heavy at parking speeds, the combination of the fabulous E30 chassis, perfect straight 6 and un-fettered feel of the road wheels through the steering wheel is just sublime. Above 10 miles per hour you simply do not need power assistance.
Over my 10 years of ownership, the car has had alot of care and been a reliable daily driver. Many bits and pieces have been replaced.
I have a pretty extensive history file which will not be available until October, but the car is being looked after by a friend in Surrey Quays, London and could be looked at and driven and indeed bought if you can't wait!
I don't want to get every penny I can for the car but I also do not want to give it away. I reckon that it is worth £4,000 given that restored ones seem to be going for £20K+.
Ask any questions you like and if you want to take it further I can put you in touch with Gary who has the keys, but not the paperwork.
Last edited by FEP on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
httpCHRISTIAN
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:37 pm

Have I seen this advert elsewhere on the net recently?
FEP
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:29 pm

httpCHRISTIAN wrote:Have I seen this advert elsewhere on the net recently?
No
andye30nut
E30Zone Contributor

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:19 am

Hi christian . I am very interested in the tech1 october would be perfect timing for me, i will pm you
tech2
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi. Is this still available?
FEP
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:13 am

tech2 wrote:Hi. Is this still available?
YES
dbell
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:00 pm

What is the current mileage, and do you have service history and previous MOT certs?

Thanks in advance
David.
FEP
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:24 am

dbell wrote:What is the current mileage, and do you have service history and previous MOT certs?

Thanks in advance
David.
To the best of my recollection, the current indicated mileage is around 160000 but I replaced the engine a few years ago with a good used unit the mileage of which I do not know. That was perhaps 15000 miles ago.

I have some service history. During my ownership I have done all the maintenance myself and kept all receipts.

Likewise I have all the MOT certificates during my ownership and I think that there are some older ones in my folder.
yagga
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:43 am

is this still available?
FEP
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:17 pm

Yes
andye30nut
E30Zone Contributor

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:08 pm

sent you a couple of pms
FEP
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:57 am

andye30nut wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:08 pm
sent you a couple of pms
Sorry - never received any.

The car is now sold. £2k for those interested.
JayE30B
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:46 pm

Oh man I missed the chance to buy it, and this was right on my doorstep i use to see this car everyday on murray
martauto
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:42 pm

JayE30B wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:46 pm
Oh man I missed the chance to buy it, and this was right on my doorstep i use to see this car everyday on murray
Keep looking on here and the usual other places and welcome to the zone mate, enjoy !!

Mart. :cool: :cool:
E30 316 coupe 1986 (rip)
E30 316 Baur 1987 (Feeling sorry in the drive but alive !!)
E36 318ti Sport (rip)
E46 330 Ci SE (rip)
E46 330 Ci Sport
yagga
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:32 pm

Is this still for sale?