My 84 v8 swap e30

Jean
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:47 pm

Replaced the water pump gasket last night as there was a small leak, ran the engine to 1/2 mark and no leak this time!

Ran into another issue, the expansion tank I was trying to use isn't working out with the radiator cap that I got. The cap isn't sealed on the top seal, only the bottom seal is actually creating a seal with the internal "neck" of the expansion tank. Of course early and late model expansion tank caps are not interchangable, so as a temporary solution I had to install the late model tank just to get it running again and test the cooling system and exhaust system for any leaks.

Jean
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Well, today was a big day... I was able to drive her for the first time in years!

I cleaned up the wiring, my idea of extending the DME end went out the window after I chopped up a spare harness to see what I'll have to do. There are a quite a few wires that aren't individual, but shielded wire looms so that's what stopped me from attempting this.

I opened up the firewall hole to match the shape of the harness plug that I removed from the spare harness to use as a template. I cleaned up the wiring harness from the ASC wires and the secondary throttle body TPS sensor etc that some cars utilized and some didn't.

I think it's long enough where I can make it work, I kept the wiring harness connectors for the temp sensor and fan connector as I plan on utilizing them in my install.

Here are some photos

The white black black connectors are literally not connected to anything else on the engine harness, so you can pull that off. This is for optional 2nd throttle body.

Here is how far into the cabin I was able to get the DME end with relays.

Jean
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

First impressions, keep in mind this was an easy drive to see if everything as in gears/brakes/steering etc are working as they should :)

- using a "virgin" 540i/6speed manual DME, fires right up and finds its idle
- shifter is very precise and mechanical, not sure how else to describe it. If you've ever driven a Miata or S2K, its similar but even more precise.
- clutch pedal is right there, feels good
- steering is working, no unusual noises or anything
- car is a bit loud inside, but kind of expected as I am using poly / bolt through engine/tranny mounts and added a 2nd diff mount that's also poly with a bolt through. BECAUSE RACE CAR? LOL
- I forgot how low my car is, it doesn't seem low but I already scratched exhaust pulling out of the driveway onto the street DOH
- exhaust sounds good at idle, and car isn't loud outside unless you get on it which is exactly how I wanted it to sound so glad it worked out.
- all gauges are working expect for tach, need to get one of those modules or make one of my own if I find a schematic for it.
- I am still using my custom built 4clutch disc 3.46 lsd, moving in 2nd gear and then rolling on power maybe 60% and it's braking traction . This will be like learning the car all over again, it's quite noticeable power increase over my previous m30b35 swap.

Need to install cooling fan and find the right expansion tank cap that actually works with the early tanks.
Please ignore the late model tank I am temporarily using, it's only there so I could test drive this thing.

Two quick videos to show how it sounds
slow take off - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVyP0Lvtz0U
drive by - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzchRCGRS6k
B5234FT
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:17 pm

:cool:
Jean
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:35 am

Got wiring under the hood cleaned up and installed my spal fan. Unfortunately it's too big to install as a puller so I had to install it temporarily as a pusher using spal brackets.

Fitted airbox in the engine bay, damn thing barely fits but must be in there to keep this swap California legal . Also got the check engine light wired, just need to solder some wires under the dash for vss/ tach and mpg .

Also need to figure out a way to securely mount the DME, good thing the dme harness end is just long enough where it should be doable .

After installing airbox , it really made the sound of exhaust more defined imho .
Captured a short clip here -

https://youtu.be/9h0GTUHvQrg

You can also here my poor external pump making all kinds of noises, so will be replacing it with a new Bosch or Walbro pump . I have a dual pump setup in this car.

First real test drive done today, car is ridiculously fun but gearing a bit short for freeway speeds ï¿aï¿a 70mph @ 3500 rpm or so, a bit high.

First gear is pretty much non existent, enough torque to pull in 5th around town . Thinking I'll probably need to switch from 3.46 to 3.25 , considering sport 540 cars had 3.15 iirc

Boosterless brakes are working fine, but take a little bit of time to adapt to as they are so different from how they feel. I will most likely be posting the complete Wilwood pedal assembly with masters and Garagistic bracket for sale soon (make me an offer :) if you are looking for a set.

Exhaust sounds amazing , but I will need to raise a car a little bit as clearance under cats is a bit on the low side , oops.

Really liking rack doctor e46 steering rack, and v8 power is exhilarating! Got the tach working using universal tach adapter that you can purchase on eBay for about $40, it works with 4 and 6 cylinder clusters, you basically set the dip switches to the correct combination and off you go. Link - https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-TACH ... 931549970?

Tomorrow I need to check all the fluids, and do some miscellaneous clean up. Also ran a loom from the radiator temp switch inside the car to install a manual override switch for the e-fan.

Ordered new external and internal fuel pumps, as I am hearing some cavitation going on.
brutus
Trade Seller
Trade Seller

Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:30 pm

wow ! yes damn good thread
8)
and interior ?
I have parts avail :o
MANY e30 PARTS 4 SALE

316i baur 1989 , manual.
318i baur 1986 auto.
Jean
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:07 am

brutus wrote:wow ! yes damn good thread
8)
and interior ?
I have parts avail :o
Thank you :) I have a couple things I need to clean up interior wise and will then take some photos .
Gert
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:41 am

Great build! Must be sounding good when revving it.
Did you need to enlarge the enginebay and adjusted the firewall ? Or did you get the monster in place with the original firewall?
Jean
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:05 am

Hi, she does sounds good and goes like stink?! I do need to change the rear end ratio to something else, I am using 3.46 or 3.64 currently (I forgot which) from my previous M30B35 swap, and need to get 3.15 in there to keep RPM lower in 5th gear at highway speeds.

The only modification done to the chassis/engine bay are :

1. cut out sheet metal where the front mounted battery was located (318 chassis), basically removed just the section that was closest to the engine.
2. dented in the area above the transmission tunnel to give more clearance for the back of the engine rear water accumulator pipe
3. dented in the passenger side footwell area to give some more room for the passenger side exhaust manifold
4. dented in about 1/4" frame rail on driver side to give little more room for alternator casing.

That's it.
Jean
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:46 am

Short little acceleration video, I can't wait to switch to 3.15 rear end...current ratio is just way too short even though it's super fun.

Gert
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:50 am

Sounds good! Nice upgrade for a 318 :-)
B5234FT
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:43 pm

Hi Jean,

Di you ever resolve the compatability issue with the expansion vessel cap?
Steve
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:53 pm

Great thread and car, keep the updates coming :thumb:
webmaster@e30zone.net
B5234FT
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi Jean,

When you did your swap, did you change to the C101 round style wiring connector, or use the older style rectangular one fitted to the prefacelift cars?

I have a PFL coupe and I'm struggling to find an engine side connector (sold mine with the engine)...

Thanks
rem1858
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Fri May 10, 2019 7:04 pm

Awesome thread, thanks for sharing!