New member, non-owner, yet.

New to the E30 Zone, well come and introduce yourself.
owlsowls
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:57 pm

Hi E30 Zone,

Apologies in advance for the long post... I’m currently looking to buy my first E30. I’ve done some research in to engines and specifications, and looked at what is for sale, but I thought I might as well post up a thread to answer the last of my questions.

I currently drive an E53 X5 Sport, which I love, but it’s getting to the age now where it’s getting issues and thought it was time to swap – which I know sounds contradictory considering I’m going to an even older car. The plan is to buy the E30, run it as a daily for a while, before buying something more substantial and putting the E30 in to storage for restoration.

I’m looking for either a saloon or coupe, preferably the saloon as it’s a bit more practical. Budget is between £3,000-£4,000. I’d like the later post-1987 model, the ideal year would be 1990. I’m not too fussed about engine or transmission as over time I’d like to fit an later engine from an E36, or potentially even an E46. But initially with the engine, the bigger the better. Is there anything I should aim for which would put me good stead for an engine upgrade? Were the more powerful engines fitted with bigger brakes or a heavier clutch? I like the twin exhaust, but I don’t know whether they were standard on a certain engine size, or as part of a trim level.

Colour wise I’m not overly bothered either, I would prefer either black (if that’s an option in the UK – I haven’t seen any black models for sale), grey, white or red. Blue or green would be acceptable depending on the rest of the car. In terms of spec, am I right is saying Lux is the highest trim level in my price range? But I don’t know what that means in terms of bumpers or interior etc. I’ve just seen the sentence “top spec lux model” on a few adverts. Over time I’d like to fit the M-Tech II bumpers, skirts, side panels and boot spoiler – whether genuine or replica, and modernise the interior a bit. So again, I’m not too bothered on spec initially, but it will be a few years before I start fitting the kit, so I’d like to get the best base possible to start with.

Along with the above, I just wanted to ask whether there any other must haves I should go for? Obviously I’m not expecting the E30 to have the same levels of tech as the E53. However, are there any other things people strongly recommend getting? Or equipment that is beneficial to have / avoid? Either it’s for day to day use, or helps retain the value of the car. I don’t want to buy an E30 only to realise that I’m missing something which would really improve the overall car.

I guess what I’m looking to buy at the moment is something solid, which I’ll be able to use as a daily, and also ticks most of the above. Any advice or reviews from current owners is also greatly appreciated. Thanks all, and I’m looking forward to being part of the E30 community. And if anyone wants an E53…

Cheers,

Jack.
Cars owned; E53 X5, 106 Rallye, Saxo VTS.
BenHar
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:12 pm

The two door E30 is not a coupe. It is a two door saloon.

Almost everything you need to know about E30s is in the Zone Wiki: https://www.e30zone.net/e30wiki/index.p ... =Main_Page

Ben
martauto
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:11 pm

Welcome to the zone mate..............wow, thats a long list but as above, have a really good look in the wiki , it has all you need to know and if not then fire away with the questions.

Mart.
E30 316 Baur 1987 ( Legal again !)
E46 325 SE Cab 2004 (Undergoing serious top down time !)
owlsowls
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:38 am

Cheers. The X5 has it's MOT next week. After which it will be going up for sale. I've identified the E30 I want, it's just a matter of lining everything up.
Aly-g
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:17 pm

Welcome to the zone, if your going to modify the e30 then I would say go for the lowest mileage and rust free car you can then after driving for a while you will get a feel of what you want from your car , looks, power and handling...... I will warn you e30 s are very addictive and will empty your pockets quite quickly !!...
Having said that I would not want any other car . They are just brilliant.......

Allan
its not growing old that stops you playing.....its when you stop playing that makes you grow old.....
owlsowls
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:07 am

Aly-g wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:17 pm
Welcome to the zone, if your going to modify the e30 then I would say go for the lowest mileage and rust free car you can then after driving for a while you will get a feel of what you want from your car , looks, power and handling...... I will warn you e30 s are very addictive and will empty your pockets quite quickly !!...
Having said that I would not want any other car . They are just brilliant.......

Allan
Thanks. I’m looking forwards to owning one. It’s a car that’s been on my wish list for a while.
owlsowls
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:52 am

The E53 X5 passed its MOT yesterday. I’ve ordered some new front and rear badges, new centre caps for the wheels and a couple of new interior lamps to freshen it up, and the car will be going on sale later this week. All being well it will sell quickly, and I’ll be collecting the E30 I’ve got my eye on.