Preventing a dashboard from cracking

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place
Post Reply
MyOtherCarIsAnE30
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 7:32 pm

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Hi all, I read a question about preventing an uncracked dash from cracking but cannot remember the name of the thread.
Anyway, my question is simple, with uncracked dashboards becoming rare and pricey, what would be the best way to stop one from cracking? Any preventative measures used would be helpful. Thanks
User avatar
HJ1981
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:24 pm
Location: Bavaria, Germany

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:34 pm

Well, proper maintenance.

I use Auto finesse interior products, anti UV and what not. Works well for me.

My car is parked outside 24/7 without any kind of sunlight protection, at least the interior. Will be getting some windshield shades soon though.
User avatar
davidt
Pompey Council 4 door deviant
Posts: 2680
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: portsmouth

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:51 pm

MyOtherCarIsAnE30 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:14 pm
Hi all, I read a question about preventing an uncracked dash from cracking but cannot remember the name of the thread.
Anyway, my question is simple, with uncracked dashboards becoming rare and pricey, what would be the best way to stop one from cracking? Any preventative measures used would be helpful. Thanks
Get yourself an Australian made dash mat, it's not just a piece of carpet there is science in the material used.
S1034931.JPG
I have a spread sheet and I am not afraid to use it
MyOtherCarIsAnE30
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 7:32 pm

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:13 pm

HJ1981 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:34 pm
Well, proper maintenance.

I use Auto finesse interior products, anti UV and what not. Works well for me.

My car is parked outside 24/7 without any kind of sunlight protection, at least the interior. Will be getting some windshield shades soon though.
Do you recommend any particular products? thanks
MyOtherCarIsAnE30
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 7:32 pm

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:14 pm

davidt wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:51 pm
MyOtherCarIsAnE30 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:14 pm
Hi all, I read a question about preventing an uncracked dash from cracking but cannot remember the name of the thread.
Anyway, my question is simple, with uncracked dashboards becoming rare and pricey, what would be the best way to stop one from cracking? Any preventative measures used would be helpful. Thanks
Get yourself an Australian made dash mat, it's not just a piece of carpet there is science in the material used.
S1034931.JPG
That looks very nice, do you know where I can get one?
User avatar
davidt
Pompey Council 4 door deviant
Posts: 2680
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: portsmouth

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:09 pm

This company in Australia make them for E30s and they come in different colours.
http://www.noelsautoparts.com.au/Dash%20Mats.htm
I have a spread sheet and I am not afraid to use it
User avatar
HJ1981
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:24 pm
Location: Bavaria, Germany

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:27 pm

MyOtherCarIsAnE30 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:13 pm
HJ1981 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:34 pm
Well, proper maintenance.

I use Auto finesse interior products, anti UV and what not. Works well for me.

My car is parked outside 24/7 without any kind of sunlight protection, at least the interior. Will be getting some windshield shades soon though.
Do you recommend any particular products? thanks
Anything that fights against UV would be fine, try to stay away from anything that will "polish and shine" plastics/dash. Try conditioners instead.

I owned a 1986 944 turbo when i was in Dubai, always stayed away from Armour All and the likes, just a conditioner with UV protection and i never had a cracked dash (the 944s are also known for their cracked dashboards) and we are talking about leaving the car outside in 25c winter days (hottest) and 47+c summer sun.
noahs86
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:33 pm

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:27 am

Hello,

WE have these plastic dashboard covers available in Republic of South Africa, and the are about $58.
they make your dash to look nice.
Attachments
dash cover.jpg
User avatar
BenHar
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict
Posts: 2514
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:00 pm
Location: Reigate, Surrey

Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:47 am

Welcome to the zone, Noah.

Do you have a link to the supplier?

Any pictures of this product fitted to a car?

Thanks
Ben
User avatar
martauto
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member
Posts: 3131
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:00 pm
Location: leeds

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:02 pm

Welcome to the zone Noah ,thats something I have not seen before.
What are you driving mate ? any pics ?

Mart.
E30 316 Baur 1987 ( Legal again !)
E46 325 SE Cab 2004 (Undergoing serious top down time !)
noahs86
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:33 pm

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:28 am

Hello,

I have E30 318i manual, 318 auto and 320I auto.

I will send you an email address of the person who is selling these dashboard covers.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1530849909238.jpg
IMG-20190608-WA0040.jpg
IMG_20190613_111522.png
IMG_20190613_111537.png
noahs86
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:33 pm

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:11 am

the seller's email address is Fumanig.mashau@gmail.com, he is in Cape Town, South Africa.
Name Fumani Mashau, cell number: +27 82 636 9409.
Post Reply