Convertible front suspension struts

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place
BaggieJim
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sat May 18, 2019 1:42 pm

Hi. Can someone offer some guidance please on the correct suspension struts & fitting.
I have a pre-Face lift convertible 325i 1986. It's currently in the garage to replace several parts including the suspension struts:

The struts I have bought are the Bilstein B4 21-030505 which match the OEM. However the ones that have come off to be replaced are:

Monroe MG216 - which also match the OEM number. However the Monroes are slightly tapered at the top end and the threaded collar (which came off the car with the Monroes) of course fits perfectly over the Monroes, but the same threaded collar does not fit over the Bilstein B4's because that are not tapered at the top end. The mechanic says the new Bilstein B4 struts do not fit / are the wrong ones, and I'm inclined to order the Monroes as a straight for straight swap. But a) I would prefer the Bilsteins to go on as they seem a superior product to the Monroes (..?), b) it doesn't seem quite right that the Bilsteins don't match exactly the Monroes and the fitting of this threaded collar. Should the Bilstein's have come with a different size threaded collar which would then make them fit to the car / suspension casing ?

It seems like there's a simple mistake somewhere / something is not tying up, so I wanted to guidance please before having to plump for the Monroe's as a replacement.

Cheers - in advance. Jim
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Sat May 18, 2019 1:56 pm

B4s should come with the correct collars in the box to fit.
BaggieJim
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sat May 18, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi Brian.
Many thanks for the quick reply. I'll get the mechanic to check. Cheers - Jim