325i MTech suspension

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place
Althoros
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Thu May 16, 2019 2:25 pm

Hi.
I have a May 91 325 cabby which is pretty much stock. It has front mudflaps fitted.
I have found on left turns at various speeds and turn radii there is a rubbing noise.
But only when the suspension is loaded- Its obviously the tyre but I have searched for any witness marks on the liner to no avail so it can only be the flap grounding. Problem is it isn't predictable sometimes it grounds on a gentle turn other time more aggressive and sometimes not at all!
So I would like to change out the stock springs and shocks for the mTech ones.
Can anyone point me in the right direction of what is needed? I assume new springs and shocks, I believe the ARB is the same already but is anything else required?
Many thanks
HJ1981
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sat May 18, 2019 8:57 am

I know the H&R sport 29664-1 are the same drop as M-Tech ones, if you are looking for brand new springs.

They are a small step up above E30 M3 springs. I combined them with Bilstein HD Short (B6 sports) and all new hardware and mounts. I also got a Z3 reinforcement rear mount from the dealership.

Stock ARBs ATM, at first it was seriously stiff on the road, but now after 500-1000 kms of driving they settled VERY nicely. But after the install, i wanted to rip them off and get Konis instead, never expected such a massive difference once they settled.

I just wish we got the H&R Race springs, like the Americans do, since i plan on doing 5-6 track days per season, but interested to see how this setup works with 22mm front and 18mm rear ARBs.
Althoros
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sun May 19, 2019 7:38 pm

Thanks HJ
Not planning to track the car at all and really wanting to keep it as standard as possible. Spent ages at a main dealer trying to figure out part numbers but unsure if MTech sports suspension was even an option on the vert. Certainly the shock and spring numbers are different to a 2or4 door sport. It seems the std and mtech shocks have the same part number on a cab. Maybe it had its own setup due to being heavier.
HJ1981
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Mon May 20, 2019 8:06 am

Althoros wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:38 pm
Thanks HJ
Not planning to track the car at all and really wanting to keep it as standard as possible. Spent ages at a main dealer trying to figure out part numbers but unsure if MTech sports suspension was even an option on the vert. Certainly the shock and spring numbers are different to a 2or4 door sport. It seems the std and mtech shocks have the same part number on a cab. Maybe it had its own setup due to being heavier.
Those springs are just a tad stiffer, no where near the Group G or Group N springs (or the Race Springs in US market). Also the vert springs would surely be difference due to the extra weight. I was referring to the drop/ride height, the same as MTec ones.

I have seen some verts with Mtec 1 and 2 kits, like you i am unsure if that included the suspension or not.