Best way to clean+dry passenger side carpet (coolant)?

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place
schocca
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:24 pm

Hi all,

I have a 1989 325i Convertible - 90K miles.

A long story in short form:
1) The heater control valve stopped working late last year.
2) New OEM replacement fitted last year, but I did not notice that it was defective and leaking coolant into the passenger side carpet until last month.
3) OEM part replaced under warranty. Coolant leak fixed, but now a nice orange puddle on the beige carpet.

Whats the best way to resolve the oily puddle?

My current plan is to mix the coolant with water and vacuum up with a wet n dry hoover - rinse and repeat until the coolant mix is non-existent.

Next, whats the best way to dry out? Dehumidifier or a fan? And do I need to take out the carpet or can I dry it in the car?
- And do I need to think about the bodywork under the carpet (paint damage etc...)?

- The car is in really good condition for it's age as it has spent most of it's life in a garage... so the underside is in great condition...

Many thanks for your time...

S.
ChrisHC
E30Zone Contributor

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:57 pm

Must be best to take out the carpet, easier to dry and you can check the floor underneath.
Steve
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Wed May 01, 2019 9:25 am

I used a Vax on mine and was lucky, it was hot outside at the time so I left it to dry in the sun.

The carpet holds an unbelievable amount of water and really needs to come out of the car to dry properly.
webmaster@e30zone.net