ABS lamp location

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place
Rusty318IS
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:43 am

Hi, I'm looking for some help locating the ABS lamp on my car, a previous owner appears to have removed the bulb holder and cable assembly to hide the faulty system. I cannot locate where it should plug in on the loom. Can anyone advise location and wire colours.? Hopefully with a lamp installed I can follow the wiki on fault finding the system.
Cheers
Russ
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:08 am

The ABS lamp holder pushes into a hole in the back of the instrument cluster, and is connected to wires which are part of the ABS loom. The colours are green/red and green (ignition live). http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/BMW/19 ... /fig06.pdf or (later version) http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/BMW/19 ... /fig06.pdf
Rusty318IS
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:16 am

Brianmoooore wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:08 am
The ABS lamp holder pushes into a hole in the back of the instrument cluster, and is connected to wires which are part of the ABS loom. The colours are green/red and green (ignition live). http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/BMW/19 ... /fig06.pdf or (later version) http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/BMW/19 ... /fig06.pdf
Thanks for your quick response I've had a good look but no sign of the lamp wiring. Do you know what route it takes to the cluster and what other wiring it is bundled in with. Is there a breakout on this assembly somewhere that I could find to see if it's been completely removed or to help me trace it back.

Thanks for your help.

Russ
Rusty318IS
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:37 pm

I'm really confused by this one. From what I can see the cluster has provision for two wired plug in lamps. One for brake linings and the other ABS. I have a lamp with wires Green & Grey/Red. Can anyone help which lamp is this for?
I have spent ages contorted in the footwell looking for the missing lamp but no sign, all a bit odd and frustrating.
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:14 pm

There are alternative colours used on occasions, and grey/red is one such alternative used in some E30s. This is the ABS lamp.
Is there a good lamp in it? Does it light when the ignition is on?
Rusty318IS
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:16 am

That’s great thanks for confirming. The Lamp lights with ignition and goes off after engine started. I guess this suggests a working ABS but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t work. I guess I need to test further but car not on the road at the moment.
Sorry to keep asking more questions but if that’s the ABS I can’t work out why I can’t locate the Brake lining light. I can’t find any colours for this wiring do you know what colours I should look for and where it routes from?
Thanks
Russ
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:02 am

Brake lining light is integral with the cluster. "Plug in" lights are ABS, trailer indicator warning, EH auto transmission fault, and a couple of lights specific to the non UK diesel models.
You may also find a couple of similar plug in lights with grey/red and brown wires in the area. These are panel illumination lights for the optional head lamp beam adjuster control.
Your ABS lamp is doing what it should do so far. What happens when the car moves at 10 MPH +?
Rusty318IS
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:59 am

Ah yes I see it now, in hindsight I should have removed the cluster rather than work from the footwell! The bulb and holder are missing from the brake lining light will get that replaced. With the ABS I’m not too sure, I will have to test further in the spring, though pretty sure I’ve never managed to trigger the ABS and when I stamped on the brakes to test after a recent Brake pad/disc/fluid replacement it didn’t trigger. Thanks for your help.
paultv
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:18 am

I found best way to test ABS is drive on a quiet dry road or track with tarmac in the middle and gravel on the side, hitting the brakes briefly but hard with one wheel on the gravel should induce the ABS to fire on the loose surface side - you should both hear and feel the solenoids kick in for the skidding wheel -

If it won't you may have blocked filters in the ABS unit. assuming no fault is shown when your ABS lamp is known to work correctly.

Hope this helps, ABS is a bit odd to diagnose properly, but the status lamp is an indicator of correct operation, so you need it functioning before you can proceed further

Paul :-)
4th May 1990 325i Convertible.

BMW E30 Cabriolet Best Mod Ever:

http://bmwe30cabriolet-wdm.blogspot.de/
ChrisHC
E30Zone Contributor

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:24 am

While the instrument cluster is out, there are some useful checks you can do. I copied these invaluable words of wisdom from a previous post by Brianmoore:

Place the cluster face down, remove all the cross head screws on the back except the slightly smaller ones on the raised areas behind the speedo. and tacho., then carefully pull the two halves apart. The SI board will remain in the front section, while the main circuit board and the instruments will stay with the rear.
The speedo. and tacho. are retained by the smaller self tappers on the raised area, so remove the ones behind the speedo. in your case, and pull it out.
Fuel gauge and temp. gauge are held by the single brass nuts behind them. Check that these nuts are tight before refitting the cluster - they are known to come loose and cause the gauges to flicker between the correct position and a slightly higher one.
To remove the SI board,first pull out the coding plug from the front lower right face of the cluster, then remove the single self-tapper inside the front of the cluster that holds the plastic retaining bracket in place. Note that this bracket also holds the little plastic mask with the legend 'check' on it for 6 pot cars or the opaque mask on 4 pot cars, so check that this is in place when reassembling, and don't lose it in the meantime.
Things you should do with the cluster out:
1/ Check the brass nuts are tight (already mentioned above.)
2/ Place the SI board in the freezer for ten minutes, then measure the voltage on each battery. Replace batteries if seriously low.
3/ Check all the little warning lights and panel illumination lights for blackening of their glass. Replace any that are black and have a mirrored appearance.
4/ Do the same with the three bulbs on the SI board's daughter board.
5/Remove the speedo. and check the soldering of the pins that connect it to the main circuit board
6/ There is a raised rectangular area on the back of the cluster, near the temp. gauge. This contains a large resistor, whose soldered connections can be found near the temp. gauge on the main circuit board. These will have deteriorated and need resoldering, unless they've been attended to before.
7/ Check the soldering on the pins for the white and blue sockets on the back. They are not a weak point, but can sometimes suffer at the hands of someone in the past that doesn't realise how to release the plugs.
Rusty318IS
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:51 pm

Thank you Paul for your advice I hadn’t really considered the best conditions for test, I will try that come springtime when there’s no shortage of roads covered in grit from endless pothole repairs!
Thanks Chris for forwarding that post really useful I shall get on with this, a perfect winter job.
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:43 pm

#6 in the list above is very likely to be the underlying reason why your brake lining light is missing.
Cluster is ver easy to remove on an E30 - locate the knurled nut up under the dash that holds one side of the trim panel above the steering wheel in place, push the trim inwards directly in front of the nut, and the nut should easily be spun off with a finger of the other hand. Repeat for the other nut, and remove trim.
Remove the four small crosshead screws that hold the trim around the cluster, and remove.
Remove the crosshead screws, now exposed, that hold the cluster itself.
Manoeuvre the cluster partly out, so that it lies face down on top of the steering column.
Use a small screwdriver to lift the locking bars on all the plugs that your version has, and disconnect the plugs.
Remove the cluster to the left. There is absolutely no reason to remove the steering wheel.
Make sure that you put the various lengths of screws back into the right positions. The longest ones are long enough to pierce the top of the dash top if fitted in the wrong place!
BenHar
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict

Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:12 pm

There is a picture showing the connections that need to be reflowed in the Wiki here: https://www.e30zone.net/e30wiki/index.p ... sistor.jpg

Ben