New Bilstein B8 Sprint dampers but no bump stop(s)?

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place
HJ1981
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:57 pm

Hey guys,

So, as with anyone receiving boxes of new parts, one is usually very excited opening new boxes and seeing shiny, clean and new parts well packed.

Sadly, one thing i noticed, is when i ordered the Bilstein B8 Sprint (front and rear) dampers.

I know from the diagrams of parts, that the rear do not need or require bump stops.

However, the OEM M-technic did some with them. Now, the B8 Sprint dampers i orders (Bilstein part number 34-003350) also came without bump stops. They came with plastic ring (that sits at the bottom), and a blue dust boot. But no bump stop.

It is the same damper that comes when one orders the B12 Pro kit (i will be using H&R sport springs). Should i order new Bilstein bump stops as well? it comes with 11-101321 ( BILSTEIN - B1 Service Parts ) kit or even order new M Tech bump stops from BMW?

Or is there no need of a bump stop with these (hard to imagine).
HJ1981
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:34 pm

After doing some research, it appears that the B6 and B8 dampers have internal bump stops, hence no requirement to have them.

Would be nice to get a confirmation, but all my research shows this.
TurtleDesignTech
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:45 pm

The dampers have internal bumpstops. You can even take some Bilstein shocks apart and cut the bump stops down for longer travel.
TriggerFish
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:43 pm

I fitted a set recently, and I'm pretty sure it actually clarified this (that they're not needed) in the paper work/instructions that came with the shocks :)

They're a nice drive though - you'll enjoy them once they're fitted! Which springs are they paired with?
HJ1981
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:48 pm

TurtleDesignTech wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:45 pm
The dampers have internal bumpstops. You can even take some Bilstein shocks apart and cut the bump stops down for longer travel.
TriggerFish wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:43 pm
I fitted a set recently, and I'm pretty sure it actually clarified this (that they're not needed) in the paper work/instructions that came with the shocks :)

They're a nice drive though - you'll enjoy them once they're fitted! Which springs are they paired with?
Thank you both, after more and more research it appears this is indeed the case.

I got myself some H&R Sport Springs to pair them with, since there is a lot of love/hate between the Eibach springs (B12-Pro Kit) and if i did my research correctly, H&R have two version of their Sport springs.

The more "common" one is part number 29663-1

The second one is part number 29664-1

Both fit the M-Suspension models, same price and so on. However after several people installed and tested them, the 664 springs turned out to be just a bit stiffer/firmer than the 663 ones. Maybe it is an "update" from H&R and the 663s are still on sale as "old stock", but i got the 664 ones since i plan to do a bit of track days.

Obviously i got new top mounts (meyle), rear mounts (meyle HD that fit E46s as well), rear enforcement plates (Original BMW for Z3), various nuts, bolts, washers etc. Even all new wheel bearings all round going in, sadly they will arrive on Monday, so i shall be tackling the suspension Thursday or so.