Cleaning heater matrix

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place
scottybeemer
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:05 pm

What's the best to clean a heater matrix out, at the moment I've got mine full with 50/50 mix of vinegar and water hopefully it will work because my heater is crap ☹
"you aint gonna take me alive, copper"
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:37 pm

Unless the system has been run without relatively fresh antifreeze, the matrix shouldn't clog, unless some 'leak sealant' has been added at some time.
Are you sure the cold/hot air blender flap in the heater box is working as it should? Are the two heater hoses connected the right way around? They are often refitted wrongly, because that's how they lie the most naturally.
Boiler/heating system descaler, from your local plumbers' merchant is what I'd use if it is scaled up.
scottybeemer
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:55 pm

Cheers Brian.. I've had the car a couple of year and the coolant was absolutely scruffy and was thick brown.ive took the heater valve off ,tested and it's working fine.
The car has had a new thermostat and a new radiator and flushed it every day for a week.
I put it back together and did have the pipes the wrong way as there was no heat what so ever and I rectified it.
The heater is only luke warm and if I put the heater up to number 3 or 4 it blows cold.
After all that I've left it filled with the vinegar water mix and I'm leaving it over night... I'll keep you posted.. btw it's a m10
"you aint gonna take me alive, copper"
BristolE30
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:21 pm

scottybeemer wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:55 pm
Cheers Brian.. I've had the car a couple of year and the coolant was absolutely scruffy and was thick brown.ive took the heater valve off ,tested and it's working fine.
The car has had a new thermostat and a new radiator and flushed it every day for a week.
I put it back together and did have the pipes the wrong way as there was no heat what so ever and I rectified it.
The heater is only luke warm and if I put the heater up to number 3 or 4 it blows cold.
After all that I've left it filled with the vinegar water mix and I'm leaving it over night... I'll keep you posted.. btw it's a m10
Did you make any progress? My heater is similar. Very weak, and fades out when really get the engine going. Always worried it’s an airlock...
BMW E30 316 - M10 with Weber Carb :bmw:
Bristol, UK
aimlessrock
E30 Zone Squatter
E30 Zone Squatter

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:02 pm

On one of my 190’s I was getting next to bugger all heat put the heater, eventually I discovered that a prior owner had used some rad sealer shite and it has nearly blocked the maxtrix. I flushed it with a lime scale degrease and the results impressive- about half a bucket of crap came out . Nice and warm now.
E30 320i Convertible (1989)
190 Mercedes (1988)

"there is nothing more expensive than a cheap E30"
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:11 pm

BristolE30 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:21 pm
Very weak, and fades out when really get the engine going. Always worried it’s an airlock...
Can be a symptom of hoses the wrong way around at the bulkhead. Hose from the back of the head to the bottom stub pipe on the bulkhead.