HID Aftermarket installation regulations and your MOT.

Need technical Q/A then you're in the right place
kam-325i
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:42 pm

Pete don't care about colour, He would shag a rainbow if he could find the end of it....
kam-325i
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:19 pm

Woo Hoo

I got a Sticky !!!!!!

only took seven years.
Pete don't care about colour, He would shag a rainbow if he could find the end of it....
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:57 pm

The text in that link disagrees with the wording in the new tester's manual, re HID headlamps!
gooner1
Out humping Reindeer

Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:24 pm

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/M ... Manual.pdf

Sorry stat of affairs, if VOSA can't even agree with itself.
Morat
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:50 pm

So according to the tester's manual - no change!
(Self levelling and wash/wipe has to be working WHERE FITTED)

:hammer:
E30 Touring 0.35 cD - more slippery than prison soap :)

Praise the Lard... and pass the dripping!
318isPMK
E30 Zone Camper
E30 Zone Camper

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:37 am

i have an HID conversion should I be worried?
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:32 am

318isPMK wrote:i have an HID conversion should I be worried?
As far as we can tell, no, assuming they are producing a correctly aimed beam pattern that meets the regs.
318isPMK
E30 Zone Camper
E30 Zone Camper

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:08 pm

Ta!
daimlerman
**BANNED**

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:38 pm

My HiD equipped touring passed it's MoT this morning,no questions asked regarding the headlights.
Youth is wasted on the young.
turkeysneck
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:34 pm

It's not introduced into the test yet, the new criteria is supposed to be phased in over a three month period. This gives test stations time to get used to the new regulations.
tomor
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:19 pm

I sell these kits daily. after market kits with bulbs and ballast packs.a message flashes up in the system saying ***off road use only***.you can still pass your test with them,just depends on your tester i guess?but technically they are not road legal...its to do with the brightness standard bulbs that produce more than a certain ammount are also illegal the main one that springs to mind is ''Ring - Rally Sport''
tomor
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:25 pm

if any one is looking for serious power from a bulb but still wants to be 100% legal no questions asked ring has just released a new legal bulb 120% more light than standard bulb.its called a ''Ring Ultima'' from what ive seen they only do them in H1 H4 and H7 but both bulbs in an e30 are h1's and they sell for around 25 quid in h1's...for a pair, so 50 quid ish for legal ''plug and play xenon bulbs (the bulbs them selves are filled with xenon gas).......ps i dont work for ring i just sell them all the time and never had any complaints. to get the same in PIAA your looking at 70 a set...140 for dipped beam and main on an e30.the choice is obviousy when you look at it.
Idol
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:43 am

Links are broke
hennabm
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:58 am

'82 323i henna
'90 320iSE sterling silver
'10 116d Sport Red - MkI
'12 1.4 Punto Easy Exotica Red
'89 240DL estate
'02 X5 3.0 LPG
tuna
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:41 pm

My car failed the MOT a couple of weeks ago, however the HID's wernt a failure, nor an advisory. My adjusters dont work via the switch either so they have to be adjusted manualy. As tomor said, i guess its just down to the tester.
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:33 pm

It is NOT 'down to the tester'. The MOT test is not concerned with the finer details of approval marks on headlamp components.
If your E30 has ellipsoidal headlamps fitted with HID lamps, the lamps are a sensible colour (i.e. not above 6000K), are fitted and adjusted correctly, don't have stupid tints, and actually work, then it will not fail its MOT test on headlamp related matters, nor attract any advisories.
rtz62
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:12 pm

As an ex Police sergeant, just a point of note; as outlined con&use regs as used by the police are different to VOSA / MOT rules.
Just be aware that cops who are on the ball (usually traffic cops in this instance) will have you if the bulbs / HiD units aren't 'e' marked.
This can result in, at the minimum, a G85 rectification form, or a fine, or a 'prohibition notice' that will prevent the use of the vehicle until fixed.
No arguing, thats how it is (I don't necessarily agree with this view, it is the application of said view) and to be honest badly adjusted and mis-used fog lights are usually more dazzling (and deserve an errant stone through the lens....)
Personally, I can't see the point in attracting unwanted attention from Plod, I'd suggest buy a set that are fully 'e' marked, then be prepared to argue the validity of their use at a later time / venue.
TamTom
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:05 pm

rtz62 wrote:As an ex Police sergeant, just a point of note; as outlined con&use regs as used by the police are different to VOSA / MOT rules.
Just be aware that cops who are on the ball (usually traffic cops in this instance) will have you if the bulbs / HiD units aren't 'e' marked.
This can result in, at the minimum, a G85 rectification form, or a fine, or a 'prohibition notice' that will prevent the use of the vehicle until fixed.
No arguing, thats how it is (I don't necessarily agree with this view, it is the application of said view) and to be honest badly adjusted and mis-used fog lights are usually more dazzling (and deserve an errant stone through the lens....)
Personally, I can't see the point in attracting unwanted attention from Plod, I'd suggest buy a set that are fully 'e' marked, then be prepared to argue the validity of their use at a later time / venue.
I do agree with rtz62 with the MOT vs POLICE rules.
An mot tester could pass a tyre and would be perfectly mot legal and the next officer could give you points for the same tyre.
As an officer you know they are not going to go out of their way to check for E markings on a headlamp.
They will more likely try and do you for a tyre or a defective something...
You just act stupid and say i didn't know.

I'm an MOT tester and i have had this discussion several times now. i even queried vosa about it.
If you have HID's with wipers on the headlamps then the wipers have to work otherwise its a failure.
daimlerman
**BANNED**

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:53 pm

TamTom wrote:
rtz62 wrote:As an ex Police sergeant, just a point of note; as outlined con&use regs as used by the police are different to VOSA / MOT rules.
I do agree with rtz62 with the MOT vs POLICE rules.
An mot tester could pass a tyre and would be perfectly mot legal and the next officer could give you points for the same tyre.
As an officer you know they are not going to go out of their way to check for E markings on a headlamp.
They will more likely try and do you for a tyre or a defective something...
You just act stupid and say i didn't know.

I'm an MOT tester and i have had this discussion several times now. i even queried vosa about it.
If you have HID's with wipers on the headlamps then the wipers have to work otherwise its a failure.
So you agree that HID's without a fitted wiper are MOT acceptable?

I repeat,both of my E30's have HID headlights without wipers,and have been passed without question.
sag
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:20 pm

So you agree that HID's without a fitted wiper are MOT acceptable? I repeat,both of my E30's have HID headlights without wipers,and have been passed without question.
The HIDS have not been enforced as of yet as a failure, hence why your cars passed. When they do become part of test the HIDs fitted on the cars will need to have some headlamp Washers, which shouldn't be a problem with a e30. But the Only problem i can see is it will need to have a suspension/self levelling System

But the only around the levelling system will come down to the tester as according to the inspection manual benefit of doubt should be given

"Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems.  In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given."(VOSA manual)
:twisted: :twisted:
TamTom
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:51 am

HID headlamps will pass an MOT, if you have wipers on your headlamps (IF) then they need to work otherwise it is then a failure.

I am a tester you can be assured the only reason they will fail when the new legislation comes into practice is if they have headlamp washers not working or you have a self levelling system which does not work.
so the only people who need to worry about hid's on an mot is people with wipers.

otherwise remove the wipers and then it definately wont fail.

This section hasn't come into play as of yet but when it does your washers if fitted need to work. :)
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:37 pm

As above: "IF FITTED" is the key phrase.

TamTom - I'm intrigued by how testers are going to tell if E30 headlamp wash and wipers are working, since they only work every fifth time the screen washers are operated with the lights on, and washing the screen several times in quick succession doesn't seem to count towards the total.
hennabm
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:10 pm

"An mot tester could pass a tyre and would be perfectly mot legal and the next officer could give you points for the same tyre. "

Whereas some requirements are not direct lifts from the whole regs for MOT purposes, the tyre regulations are.

The tyre requirements are the same, whatever.
'82 323i henna
'10 116d Sport Red - MkI
'89 240DL estate
'02 X5 3.0 LPG
Morat
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:17 pm

My HIDS are 4300k and correctly aimed. I have no wipers on the headlights but the washers still work. I also have a spare set of boggo H1 bulbs in the door pocket.

I'd rather be pulled for HIDs than crash into a cyclist. At this time of year, the number of cars with only one headlight is amazing - there can't be that many police pulling cars over in rural Yorkshire.
E30 Touring 0.35 cD - more slippery than prison soap :)

Praise the Lard... and pass the dripping!
TamTom
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:48 am

this has been blown way out of proportion!
you guys have got nothing to worry about

And what i meant by the tyre thing HENNABMW is that a tyre could pass an mot and then police could give you points for the same tyre saying its an illegal tyre.

We test a tyre to certain regs, eg it has to have 1.6mm across 75% of the tread so could be bald on the inner and outer edges as long as its not showing cord or ply.
rtz62
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:56 am

As a recently retired police sergeant, can you elucidate please TomTom?
hennabm
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:01 pm

If a tyre passes the MOT for depth and condition then the Police have exactly the same rules for them on this one. There are no different rules for depth and condition for the Police to enforce.

I agree the MOT doesn't cover all parts of the vehicle etc and that is why in some areas of the law a car can pass the MOT but still be illegal.
However the tyre depth and condition isn't one of them.
'82 323i henna
'10 116d Sport Red - MkI
'89 240DL estate
'02 X5 3.0 LPG
rtz62
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Sorry, must have got the wrong end of the stick, thought you meant mot and police had different positions re tyres.
In answer to the post that cops won't bother checking after-market hid lights;
If you enter Notts and draw attention to yourself, my friend on Roads Policing will most certain have your bulbs out if he stops you and they're not compliant.
We considered it an 'in'; ie a reason to stop a car and go through it with a fine tooth comb.
I always suggest compliance with the law, why give plod an excuse?
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:35 am

Can you explain as to what you mean by "draw attention to yourself"?
rtz62
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:17 am

I'm sure you know what I mean, but...
In 26+ years it was the people who drew attention to themselves that are more likely to be stopped. My speciality was traffic law and con & use regs.
For instance, mis-represented number plates were a particular target (and the policy was if the same vrm received 2 FPN's then the third would automatically generate a request to the DVLA to withdraw that plate).
And for some reason people are astounded when pulled over for speeding, or doing doughnuts in the town centre car parks, even more so when the get a S59 notice (59? Sorry if its the wrong number, I've been finished 3+ years).
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:05 am

TamTom wrote:this has been blown way out of proportion!
you guys have got nothing to worry about

And what i meant by the tyre thing HENNABMW is that a tyre could pass an mot and then police could give you points for the same tyre saying its an illegal tyre.

We test a tyre to certain regs, eg it has to have 1.6mm across 75% of the tread so could be bald on the inner and outer edges as long as its not showing cord or ply.
I wonder how that would go if you went to court and tried to argue that point?

Cheers

Kaz
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:15 pm

All the above is unfortunately now outdated, as of earlier this year. Following the introduction of the latest MOT test regs., HID burners fitted to lamps that were not designed for them is now a test failure, however good the beam pattern is.
JakeusSnakeus
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:22 pm

IMO HID kits are old hat now.

LED headlight bulbs have come a long way and are cheaper, brighter and more compact. They can also be used as main beam bulbs because they will switch on and off instantly without the slow warm up time of HID's. This then gives you a nice uniformed look, i hate when the dipped beam and main beam are different colours.
I've passed many an MOT with LED bulbs in multiple different cars, I've had them in my E90 (non projector headlights) for years now which has passed several mot's at different places. Even one done at the main dealer!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NIGHTEYE-H1- ... ctupt=true

Here are a set of H1 bulbs to fit an e30, I've had a really good experience with the Nighteye brand, I've got them in three different cars currently and they just seem to last. The other bonus is that there aren't any separate ballast boxes so there isn't all that extra wiring to deal with and no box to mount. The only draw back is (depending on your headlights) the back of the bulb has a fan on so you may have to modify the back of the light cover to let the fan poke through, but nothing you couldn't achieve with a drill and some patience.

They are really really impressively bright and for £18 quid for two what have you got to loose
Brianmoooore
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:03 pm

These are fine for main beams, but the light does not come from a (almost) point source, so cannot give a good focused beam pattern when used with the projector lenses of E30 dipped beam headlamps.
My son has a Corsa (soon to be replaced by an E30), and when he first bought it, I considered the main beams to be so poor as to be dangerous, so I insisted he fitted LEDs, similar to those above, for the main beams. They are an order of magnitude brighter than the originals, and solve the safety problem, but the beam produced is noticeably patchy, with some areas much brighter than others.
joeyb
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Sat May 11, 2019 6:41 am

I put my E30 in for an MOT this week, fully expecting them to fail it on the HID headlights (its been off the road for about a year)....but nothing was mentioned. One side is hidden behind the cover but I couldnt fit the cover on the passenger side due to the M52 airbox being in the way, so they were there to see if they went looking. I guess a little discretion was in play...