Restoration in Bristol shall I or sell?

Doing a minor build / restoration or an epic one, post it here
soul4t
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:52 pm

Hello People!

I Love my E30 316i M40. Still the nicest car I’ve driven! I do feel it under powered and would have loved a 318is!

I have a lot going on and can’t dedicate the time necessary to Restore my E30 myself. I have wanted to do it since owning it in 2007!

I’ve been offered £1k (what I said was my lowest acceptance) .

It would be a weekend driver and is off road on the pebble drive.

It is mechanically sound, 105k miles (had it since 43k)
Reconditioned steering rack.

Problems are:
Rear lowest panel severely rusted and damaged by very minor impact a couple of years ago.
Both rear Arches have evidence of rust right up in the twin leaf bit (from what I understand).
Front arches are fine as are sills and always gets praise from mot testers amd garages on it’s seemlessly spotless under carriage.

If anyone knows someone who will restore the bodywork, including complex welding. I am happy to pay. Then I can get the usual maintenance by myself.
If anyone knows someone who would do a 318is conversion as well I would consider it but I did always want to keep it original.

Any thoughts welcome!
Foe
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:16 pm

Noooooo! Don't get rid, you will regret it!!
I love my 1991 316i and would not swap it for anything else! What's the rush, most driving now entails traffic anyway.

I've owned a 1988 318i back in 2009 and regretted selling it.

However it's your choice, you know the car better than anyone else...... keep it!! :thumb:
Last edited by Foe on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soul4t
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:27 pm

Thanks!

Just can’t do it myself! Don’t have anywhere to dismantle it to send it to a body shop I’d trust! Phones a recommended shop today and they are not taking on more work!
MrGCC
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:44 pm

Hi mate,

I can get in touch with a few companies I know that could restore it for you (Rust Busters is their name) . I am very hands on and looking to restore mine myself but I can get in touch with them to help sort you out a discount.

Personally it all depends on if you are happy with spending the money on a car that I am sure you have a big emotional attachment to and keep that love alive or change for another similar car with the different engine.

If it was me, restore, engine swap and know that the car you had all these years is now a better version of itself to enjoy owning.