1989 325i Sport - Diamond black M-Tech II

Doing a minor build / restoration or an epic one, post it here
bmwe30mtech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:12 am

It's been a long time since I posted a thread about one of my cars, but I wanted to share my most recent purchase. The older members on here might remember the 1991 diamond black 318i Lux I bought back in 2005, and the 1990 dolphin grey 325i Sport I bought in 2007, and then restored - Beardymatt carried out the extensive bodywork repairs. I sold that car back in 2011, and bought a 1988 Macau blue E30 M3 EvoII, which I gave a nut on bolt re-build. I have also had a couple of other E30s since 2011, including a 1990 325i convertible for a couple of years. One car I always missed though, was the Tech II 325i Sport, and last year I decided to get another one, ideally in diamond black.

The majority of Sports for sale are scrap, even the ones claiming to be excellent examples. A lot of the supposedly nice ones are being sold by dealers who know nothing about them, not enthusiasts who know the individual car well. I eventually found a low mileage one in diamond black from a private seller, and we agreed a deal in July. The seller had never driven the car, despite it being MOTd and taxed, and it had sat in his garage for quite a while. The car was a long way from where I live, so I had it transported to me on a trailer rather than risk a long first drive. It's is a 1989 325i Sport and has covered just 44k miles, and since 1993 has only covered 4k miles. Aside from the usual Sport spec, it was also fitted from new with a 13 button OBC, rear head rests, and heated washer jets, mirrors and door lock. It has a fantastic service history, every MOT from new and even the original sales invoice, and although the car was MOTd almost every year, it covered very few miles. This has been excellent for preserving it, however also resulted in a few things which need attention. My plan is to give the car a thorough overhaul, keeping it entirely OEM (although adding a few factory optional extras, which could easily be removed again if wanted), and correcting the few small non-OEM parts on the car currently. Just prior to me buying the car, it was given an inspection II service, new cambelt, new tyres and new SI board. Not long ago the brakes were also fully rebuilt (callipers blasted, re-coated and rebuilt, and new discs and pads), so that was some items ticked off already.

Loaded for it's journey home:
OIOF9274 - Edit.jpg
Delivered! :
IMG_3425.JPG
The MOT had recently expired, and so after a thorough look over the car, the first thing was to drive it to the MOT station. I noticed that the car was running a bit warm in traffic, and suspected the viscous clutch, given how long the car had sat for. This was the problem, and I fitted a new Behr clutch (the manufacturer of the OEM clutch). The car also passed the MOT.
IMG_3677.JPG
IMG_3678.JPG
The second time out in the car the fuel pump started to whine loudly, and I assumed the worst - that the fuel tank had rusted from the inside, due to sitting for so long with old fuel in it. When I got home I removed the pump, and not surprisingly the tank was lightly rusted inside, and the fuel was a brown colour. I'm surprised the car ran so well none the less. Perhaps the old fuel had been drained and swapped once already. I contacted BMW and ordered a new fuel system from the filler pipe through to the engine. The only part I decided not to buy from BMW was the tank itself, as they wanted almost £1k for one, and the ones I have bought from GSF before have been almost identical, and a similar weight/quality. So, I bought one from GSF (these are about £550 on their website, but still £260 on ebay, so grab a bargain before they sync their price lists!). The non-BMW tanks come finished in silver coating, not the BMW black finish, and so I finished my tank in satin black, per OEM. I replaced every fuel fitting along the way, although didn't take pictures I'm afraid.

Here is the tank while the finish is still drying, so it looks shiny:
IMG_3821.JPG

It seems I can only upload 5 pictures in this post, so I'll split this accross a few posts...
bmwe30mtech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:15 am

Fuel pump.png
As part of the job of changing a fuel tank, the exhaust and prop shaft have to be dropped down. It was a good time to fit new exhaust parts, and the associated heat shields. Note that 325i Sports had shadowline trim tips fitted to the rear box, not the chrome ones people often fit. Luckily the exhaust and all associated parts are still available from BMW.
IMG_3958 - Edit.jpg
Whilst under the car it was a good time to sort out a few more areas. In the driver side rear wheel arch you will find the fuel breather equipment, along with the fuel filler pipe. The whole lot forms a bit of a trap for mud, and this is one of the first places that E30s often rot from. Somebody had added some extra protection in this rear arch, presumably when the car was near new, by screwing a thick rubber mat to the existing small plastic mud shield, which prevented any mud getting chucked up into the arch. Given the car wont be driven in the wet any more, I removed all of this and bought new fittings for the arch. The car had been waxoyled in the past, but some muppet had sprayed this over the shell before cleaning it, so it was on top of mud etc! It was made even worse by the dealer who sold the car in 2016 spraying yet more waxoyl on top! I cleaned it all back thoroughly using white spirit, and luckily no rust had set in yet. Perhaps the cleanest E30 shell I have seen, let alone Tech II kitted car. I also removed the M-tech II kit from the car to be certain there was no rust, and thankfully found none at all, and no sign of the car ever being welded anywhere. The clips to fit the kit are still available from BMW, and best to replace after removing it as some of them are single use only.

Somebody had fitted an aftermarket aerial to the car, and so I replaced this with a new Hirschman electric aerial (the supplier for BMW cars in the 1980s), with the correct shadowline mast. This is all still available online from Hirschman, and is the same as the original E30 aerial (they were the supplier for BMW). One part which is no longer made is the shadowline cap and mounting nut for the aerial - you can only buy chrome ones. So, i bought a chrome one and will have it re-coated black. For now though, I fitted the rubber type fitting with ball top, which was also an option on E30s from new (but not fitted as standard to 325i Sports). For reference, the aerial masts are identical for both the nut and the ball type fittings, so they are interchangeable. Whilst in the boot and with the carpets out, I gave it a good wash and check for rust. This is the first sport I have seen with no rust whatsoever in the boot - the rust coloured marks in the pictures are in fact waxoyl, which has been sprayed in. I fitted some Z3 top mount reinforcement plates, and new top mounts and gaskets. The spare wheel is brand new, never used!
IMG_3651.JPG
IMG_3653.JPG
These are the part numbers of the Z3 plates if helpful for anybody:
IMG_3975.JPG
bmwe30mtech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:18 am

During the early 1990s the owner had an aftermarket alarm fitted, which had long ago stopped working, and I didn’t even have the fob for it. I decided to remove it, and thankfully it was only spliced into the car loom in four places, despite all the wiring below. Some wires were not attached to anything at either end! I wrapped the splices and then wrapped the loom in cloth loom tape. The car will have my own security fitted, which wont involve splicing wires or messing things up.
IMG_E4365.JPG
IMG_4104.JPG
Next up was the interior. When the car was almost new, the first owner had the parcel shelf speakers upgraded to larger ones, and cut the parcel shelf to fit them in. It was a fair job, but not original, and I wanted to put the car back to OEM. So I hunted for a parcel shelf in comparable un-faded condition, and managed to find one which had been in storage for many years, and had the optional extra rear blind and premium speaker upgrade. You can see side by side with the original shelf that the colour match and condition is pretty much identical. I also bought new clips and hooks (still available from BMW). The shelf itself is still available too, but on back order, and the one I bought from them a few years ago was not the same colour as the originals, so you're perhaps best off hunting for a good original one.
IMG_4102.JPG
Old shelf:
IMG_3981.JPG
Old and new:
IMG_3976.JPG
bmwe30mtech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:21 am

IMG_3977.JPG
IMG_3964.JPG
When they fitted the larger speakers in the rear shelf, the previous owner also chopped holes in the front door cards, ruining them. They left the original Blaupunkt head unit fitted though. Most door cards for sale have lifting vinyl or are damaged, and they went NLA a long time ago annoyingly. I haven't managed to find a good pair of cloth anthracite front cards yet, but I did already have a perfect set of black vinyl cards from a car with about 30k miles, so fitted these for now. I'll swap back to the correct anthracite door cards when I can find some, but I quite like the look with the black vinyl ones for now! I was going to re-waxoyl the rear aches, but they didn't need doing.

IMG_4410.JPG
IMG_4079.JPG
IMG_4080.JPG
bmwe30mtech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:30 am

Given I had fitted the premium rear speakers, I also bought the tweeter speakers for the front which would be part of the optional upgrade when the car was new. They are now NLA, but I found some new old stock. Looking on Real OEM it looks like they might be available from the dealer again now though. I have not fitted them yet though.

I decided to fit the factory option of heated seats, starting with fitting the loom under the carpet. The looms are now NLA, but I found a new old stock loom in Germany. The rest of the kit is still available new from BMW, and so I bought new heating elements, switches and the fittings to mount the loom plugs under the seats. Easy to put back to standard spec for this specific car if wanted, as the loom simply plugs in behind the glove box, to a socket already there on all E30s.
IMG_4547.JPG
IMG_4534.JPG
IMG_4536.JPG
IMG_4537.JPG
bmwe30mtech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:33 am

Heated seat loom threaded in the correct 'loops' along with the main body loom:
IMG_4108.JPG
IMG_4109.JPG
IMG_4106.JPG
To fit the heating elements, the front seats have to be taken apart into the base and back sections, and the backrest and base covers unclipped at the ends. No staples etc have to be disturbed, as I have found that using a flexible ruler the elements can simply be slotted into the correct place, as below.
IMG_4538.JPG
IMG_4542.JPG
bmwe30mtech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:34 am

IMG_4541.JPG
IMG_4540.JPG
IMG_4549.JPG
IMG_4553.JPG
bmwe30mtech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:39 am

The car's front seatbelt buckles had faded a bit, so I swapped them for a pair which were bought new not long ago, and barely used. The seat runners had also rusted as they often do, and after calling BMW and finding out that a new set is now just shy of £2k (yes, for 4 seat runners!), I found a pair of new old stock ones, and a pair of excellent 'as new' ones. It was also a good opportunity to clean and re-grease the seat mechanisms, which attract dirt over the years.
IMG_4555.JPG
Looking at the car's service history, in 1989 the first owner bought a rear console with tape deck and fitted it. I decided to put the car back to original, and bought a new rear console without the tape deck, which is still available from BMW. Unlike the new dashboards which look nowhere near as nice as the original ones, the console finish is pretty much identical to the original. I cut holes in the new console for the heated seat switches - there are marks on the inside telling you where to cut. The car originally had the rubber boot around the handbrake gaiter which I think looks a bit rubbish, so I bought a new OEM BMW leather handbrake gaiter.
IMG_E4111.JPG
IMG_E4112.JPG
IMG_4402 - Edit.jpg
A few years ago this car passed through the hands of a dealer, (and I believe it was them!) who sprayed dashboard shine over all of the plastic items in the interior, because shiny is apparently good. I spent a long time removing all the trim and cleaning it gently with mild soapy water to get it back to the nice matt finish, and refitted it all.
bmwe30mtech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:42 am

I bought a new all in one gear knob and gaiter, the same as the original one, but the illuminated version. The illuminated knob has a small additional loom to provide the power, although the one I received from BMW would involve cutting into the car's loom which I didn't want to do. The original looms for these did not involve any cutting and simply plugged into the rear ashtray light bulb, so I used one of the original looms.
IMG_4098.JPG
IMG_4099.JPG
IMG_4100.JPG
New style loom:
IMG_4097.JPG
Original style loom:
IMG_E4110.JPG
bmwe30mtech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:47 am

I also decided to fit a boot liner trim, which were standard on 325i SE cars, and an option on all other E30s, except M3s. Not original to this car, but easily unclipped. These are still available from BMW, and at about £180 are cheaper than some of the used ones sell for on ebay. The clips are available still too (you need 14 of them). I think this trim makes the boot look a bit more finished.
IMG_3960.JPG
IMG_3961.JPG
The car was fitted with modern M badges when I bought it, which came straight off! I bought some correct E30 ones from the dealers, but have not fitted them yet. I'm sure this will divide opinions though!
IMG_4096.JPG
The few optional extras I've fitted could easily be removed and leave no mark, but I really like a nicely specced E30 and think it was worth adding them. One thing I've decided not to add is air-con, because it's quite involved (I've retrofitted it to 4 E30s) and would involve me messing around with this original car more than I want to. I am going to fit cruise control too, and have collected most of the parts ready for this, but than can be a project for a spare day in 2019.

Mechanically the car is excellent, and following the work carried out prior to me buying it, and the new complete fuel system I have fitted, it's been running perfectly. It did initially hunt on idle a bit, so I looked it over and couldn’t find an air leak, and the ICV looks recently replaced. I had a garage re-set the parameters, and it's been fine since.

That's where I am at now, and I plan to do a few more bits and pieces to the car, but predominantly just look after it and enjoy driving it now and then on sunny days!
IMG_4389.JPG
IMG_4391 - Edit.jpg
bmwe30mtech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:48 am

IMG_4393.JPG
IMG_4395 - Edit.jpg
IMG_4399.JPG
IMG_4400.JPG
IMG_4401.JPG
bmwe30mtech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:49 am

IMG_4403.JPG
IMG_4405.JPG
IMG_4409 - Edit.jpg
IMG_4410.JPG
bmwe30mtech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:54 am

Some the pictures above are not in the order I did the work, so it may not flow perfectly! There's lot of other things I have done and not mentioned, but I'll be posting updates of the next work over Christmas too.

When I did the rear top mounts I gave the boot a good clean out too:
IMG_3659.JPG
IMG_3666.JPG
IMG_3668.JPG
IMG_3670.JPG
IMG_3674.JPG
bmwe30mtech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:55 am

The original spare wheel has never been fitted!
IMG_3675.JPG
IMG_3676.JPG
SiamLars
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:43 am

Wow. Great find. Enjoy this beauty!
Shutthatdoor
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:56 am

Love the attention to detail - fandabbidozi
martauto
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:15 pm

A truely brilliant write up for a fantastic car.
What an attitude you have towards restoration and its a credit to you :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mart. :cool:
E30 316 Baur 1987 ( Legal again !)
E46 325 SE Cab 2004 (Undergoing serious top down time !)
bmwe30mtech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:57 pm

Thanks very much guys, it's been a joy to work on this car :)

Paul
csl
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:31 am

Nice read ! Attention to detail, as always.
Shocked by the price of new BMW tanks these days!
brettski
E30 Zone Camper
E30 Zone Camper

Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:38 am

Great thread and nice find!
BenHar
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict

Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:26 pm

Lovely car, well done.

Do you have the part numbers for the OEM exhaust you fitted, please.

I am struggling to find one where the rear pipes exit straight like yours (instead of diagonally).

Thanks
Ben