m20 325i fuel hoses - change all - HELP?

General E30 related discussions -
Please put technical questions in E30 Tech Help forum below
jbrunouk
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Mon May 13, 2019 10:22 am

Hi everyone

I have a 1986 bronzit 325i 2dr prefacelift. The vehicle has been sat for 6 years and I have just got it running. After letting it run I noticed a bad fuel leak just under the inlet manifold. I understand a 33 year old will have become brittle. I have bought a fuel injector 0 ring kit already, but wanted to know what hoses I need to change all the fuel hoses in the engine bay? Is there a complete kit? Also when changing the hoses I would like to change all clamps/hose clips so I won't need to do it again.

I am unsure if anyone has done this and can point me the right direction, as I woul dlike to undertake te job myself to save on labour costs as its a project vehicle.

Any help would appreciated as I cannot find the information out anywhere?

While I have heard of a few e30 catches fire due to fuel hose issues...

steve_k
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Mon May 13, 2019 6:25 pm

i changed all the fuel lines on my sport a few months ago, i used the braided steel teflon lined hose from speed flow with AN fittings, all the way from the fuel pump to the engine bay, i then used reinforced epdm fuel hose to the rail & return line,

i got the epdm line from a local motorfactor.

all in i think it cost me about £100+ but i know full well that it won't split as the braided line has a burst pressure of 12000psi.
if it's got t*ts or wheels it's bound to be trouble...............prove me wrong.
getting oral sex off an ugly person is like rock climbing.....don't look down ;)
jbrunouk
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Mon May 13, 2019 9:19 pm

Okay... can I confirm that 8mm x 13mm fuel hose is needed for engine bay?
steve_k
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Mon May 13, 2019 9:46 pm

jbrunouk wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:19 pm
Okay... can I confirm that 8mm x 13mm fuel hose is needed for engine bay?
Iirc it is yes.
if it's got t*ts or wheels it's bound to be trouble...............prove me wrong.
getting oral sex off an ugly person is like rock climbing.....don't look down ;)
jbrunouk
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Tue May 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Thanks for the advice on the hoses. For the engine bay did you use all the old clips to secure the new hoses?
steve_k
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Wed May 15, 2019 6:55 am

no i replaced them with brand new stainless steel ones.
jbrunouk
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Wed May 15, 2019 12:27 pm

steve_k wrote:
Silly question I know but is there a general size to use.. Are they different sizes? Where did you purchase them from. Mine is also a 325i so should be same as ones you changed.

As it will be my first time changing them myself.
steve_k
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Wed May 15, 2019 5:34 pm

jbrunouk wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:27 pm
steve_k wrote:
Silly question I know but is there a general size to use.. Are they different sizes? Where did you purchase them from. Mine is also a 325i so should be same as ones you changed.

As it will be my first time changing them myself.
not a silly question at all, i can't remember the exact size but i think they are 12mm - 15mm or there abouts, i got them from a local motorbike spares shop, took an old one in & told him what i needed them for & he gave me the correct one's.

they are known as W4 T bolt clamps, cost me about £2 each, not cheap but they will last a fair while.
chatstar123
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Thu May 16, 2019 5:13 am

I've just changed my fuel lines from tank to engine bay, rubber and steel, with genuine BMW parts but was around £200. I had a couple of screws break for the brackets that hold the steel pipes to the body. Use plenty of WD40. Hopefully a bit of careful drilling and tapping I can sort it out.

Also remember to read the wiki page on here about removing fuse 11 and cranking engine before working the fuel system.
jbrunouk
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Thu May 16, 2019 11:18 pm

chatstar123 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:13 am
I've just changed my fuel lines from tank to engine bay, rubber and steel, with genuine BMW parts but was around £200. I had a couple of screws break for the brackets that hold the steel pipes to the body. Use plenty of WD40. Hopefully a bit of careful drilling and tapping I can sort it out.

Also remember to read the wiki page on here about removing fuse 11 and cranking engine before working the fuel system.
What did you use as a guide to do all the fuel lines. I may let garage tracker the steel ones as seems a little daunting.. drilling and such. May need experts for that bit.
chatstar123
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Fri May 17, 2019 7:37 am

No guide I'm afraid. From memory I did it as follows.

Remove fuse 11 in the engine bay and crank engine to relieve fuel pressure. See fuel system wiki.

Jack the left side of the car. The pressure and return lines are the two larger ones which run alongside a brake line so you will see 3 lines mounted together front to back on the left hand side . Remove the small splash guard at the back which is held on by 2 nuts, then removed the clips holding the rubber hoses to the lines coming out of the tank above the fuel filter (a sharp Stanley knife will help if the rubber hoses are really stuck), in the engine bay removed the rubber lines from the fuel rail and pressure regulator (I put tape around the hose to the regulator so I didn't cross connect the lines on refitment), removed the screws from brackets attaching the fuel lines to the body, (these were rusted and a couple broke), removed lines from brackets and out from under the car. Attached the new rubber sections to the new steel pipes, copying the set up of the old pipes this includes the fuel filter so a new one should be fitted at this point with flow direction arrow pointing the correct way. Fitment is reverse of removal. Remember to mark the fpr hose before fitment to prevent cross connection of lines as in the removal.

Someone on here may have a repair for any broken bracket screw receptacles if too many break.

Hopefully I've been clear enough and covered everything, if you have any more questions just ask.
jbrunouk
E30 Zone Newbie
E30 Zone Newbie

Sat May 18, 2019 6:20 am

Hey.. fantastic help.. thanks a million for the write up.. I have ordered everything so will be attempting to complete soon as all arrive..

BRILLIANT HELP GUYS... Seriously.