Tired of the scene

General E30 related discussions -
Please put technical questions in E30 Tech Help forum below
Sambino
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:07 pm

Good evening all - hope you peeps are well.

I’m writing to have a moan unfortunately- to me the scene has attracted many unsavoury Types- people, who lie, cheat and steal- yes some may accept its part and parcel of life - but it never used to be like this on here- since Facebook what I knew as the zone and other E30 groups-

People making comments like ”athey only going one way”a selling absolute rubbish and people just focused on making profits. I have no problem with people making a living or a side hustle whatever you want to call it but I guess I’m just tired of it all and genuinely wish it was like the old days.

Please feel free to add- hopefully you see my point. There are still some amazing people like Brian, Ian, Barry and others. No offence intended in my post.
Sambino
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:08 pm

Now thinking of selling up or buying e28 or just give it all up. :twisted:
martauto
E30 Zone Team Member
E30 Zone Team Member

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:16 pm

This is not face book as you know .
This is the Zone proper and we dont stand for crap on here.

Mart.
E30 316 Baur 1987 ( Legal again !)
E46 325 SE Cab 2004 (Undergoing serious top down time !)
Sambino
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:25 pm

martauto wrote:This is not face book as you know .

Mart.

100% agree mart but seems like fb has killed this place off too and that saddens me. Never had an issue on here just lots of laughs and banter - more important good people who where always honest and willing to help- gavla gave up an afternoon to help fit my roof and didn’t want a penny! Another cant remember his name but was called spooks on here welcomed me and family after a drive up to Portsmouth to get parts. All I get on Facebook is liars -false promises of payment and parts.

One guy needed an air mass meter. I told him I had the one he needed. We agree a price then he doesn’t want to pay by PayPal cos he thought I was going to cheat him? Another time I did PayPal they took the bits and my money- nothing like this ever happened on here / even speedtouch was kind enough to send me another chip after my last one was damaged.
Bally
E30 Zone Camper
E30 Zone Camper

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:36 pm

If people who felt like you came back to the zone think it would revive it been some (and still are) some amazing and helpful people on here I remember years ago I let a zone park his car on my driveway for w2 weeks as he was going on hols he bought me back a bottle of duty free jack Daniels happy days
Satan
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:38 pm

Sambino wrote:
martauto wrote:This is not face book as you know .

Mart.

100% agree mart but seems like fb has killed this place off too and that saddens me. Never had an issue on here just lots of laughs and banter - more important good people who where always honest and willing to help- gavla gave up an afternoon to help fit my roof and didn’t want a penny! Another cant remember his name but was called spooks on here welcomed me and family after a drive up to Portsmouth to get parts. All I get on Facebook is liars -false promises of payment and parts.

One guy needed an air mass meter. I told him I had the one he needed. We agree a price then he doesn’t want to pay by PayPal cos he thought I was going to cheat him? Another time I did PayPal they took the bits and my money- nothing like this ever happened on here / even speedtouch was kind enough to send me another chip after my last one was damaged.
What goes around comes around, nice that Gavla helped you out with the roof as I helped him swap one over when I gave him my old roof as he was getting his redone.

Thats what the Zone was about in the past.

The issue is that greed takes over, there are honest sellers out there that you can trust but when there is money to be made you get the shysters in trying to make a killing.
Satan
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:38 pm

Double Post
Last edited by Satan on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sambino
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:39 pm

Lovely that’s what I’m talking about a˜Š
Cloggy Saint
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:49 pm

I'm not on Facebook and have no intention of changing that. Is the zone page official? If it's as dodgy as Sambino says then hopefully people will come back here because for the last 18 months or so it's been a ghost town with no more than a dozen posts a day :(

E30 zone - promoting adult illiteracy since 2004
Satan
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:21 pm

I think I am banned form the Zone FB page....... so just annoy the leftovers on here mwah hah ha hah 'o))))
steve_k
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:39 pm

Cloggy Saint wrote:I'm not on Facebook and have no intention of changing that. Is the zone page official? If it's as dodgy as Sambino says then hopefully people will come back here because for the last 18 months or so it's been a ghost town with no more than a dozen posts a day :(
it is run by the likes of iain (hartgeh27), barry (bss325i) & kos amongst a few others, & yes there a quite a few on there just out to make money anyway they can.

as for this place? i know that steve (the modfather himself) is working on a brand new zone, the likes of me, iain, & a few others have been asked to write articals about out lengthy e30 tenure for the new zone when it's launched.

it's true that a while back this place was heaving, something new posted nearly every minute, but now it has slowed down a bit,

there are still a lot of good kind hearted members on here who post most days, there are still members willing to go out of their way to help someone in their time of need.

prime example was martauto, last year i was stuck, unable to get a snapped bolt from the chassis rail above the front subframe, he very kindly sent me a set of centre drill bits in several different sizes (all brand new) & thanks to him & his randon act of kindness i was able to get the work done,

it's little things like that that will keep folk coming back.

again as for the facebook page there is some much false/incorrect info being passed around on there it's unreal,

so many folk join up, post a load of bollox & then either vanish or get banned, i suppose thats why i keep coming back here, 9 times out of 10 if you are after a certain part or specific help you will nearly always find it here.

given time folk should hopefully come to realise that the FB page is like the moss eisly canteener, full of deadbeats trying to fleece some poor newbie out of their hard earned just so they can feel good about themselves.

vive la zone (& all that winkeye )
if it's got t*ts or wheels it's bound to be trouble...............prove me wrong.
getting oral sex off an ugly person is like rock climbing.....don't look down ;)
steve_k
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:40 pm

Satan wrote:I think I am banned form the Zone FB page....... so just annoy the leftovers on here mwah hah ha hah 'o))))
your not missing much winkeye
if it's got t*ts or wheels it's bound to be trouble...............prove me wrong.
getting oral sex off an ugly person is like rock climbing.....don't look down ;)
Satan
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:50 pm

steve_k wrote:
Satan wrote:I think I am banned form the Zone FB page....... so just annoy the leftovers on here mwah hah ha hah 'o))))
I love you too Steve........
Sambino
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:57 pm

Much respect to you all. All that’s been said above is so true. Within the rules of the zone many of those crooks wouldn’t last a month on here cos they would be exposed.
steve_k
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:59 pm

Satan wrote:
steve_k wrote:
I love you too Steve........
:kiss: :giggle:
steve_k
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Sambino wrote:Much respect to you all. All that’s been said above is so true. Within the rules of the zone many of those crooks wouldn’t last a month on here cos they would be exposed.
there's been a few called out on the FB page, gets pretty entertaining at times.
Cloggy Saint
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:15 pm

It's a shame that old school zoners like Barry, Kos etc are running the FB page but never appear here any more. There must be something good about FB otherwise it wouldn't have taken all the zone traffic, so what is it??

steve_k
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:20 pm

Cloggy Saint wrote:It's a shame that old school zoners like Barry, Kos etc are running the FB page but never appear here any more. There must be something good about FB otherwise it wouldn't have taken all the zone traffic, so what is it??
i'm still trying to suss that one myself,

though in fairness there seems to be a resurgence of folk wanting to build m20's, as a few are starting to move away from the m5x engines,

i'll give iain his due, he promotes this place when ever he can,
it might help if they said that in order to join the FB page that they had to join here as well, to try & help to get a bit more traffic.
Cloggy Saint
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:40 pm

Has Brian Mooooore also been lured to the dark side? 8O

ah
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:05 pm

Cloggy Saint wrote:Has Brian Mooooore also been lured to the dark side? 8O
Yes I'm getting concerned about proberly the most helpful person other than bbs325i (Barry) on here why he's disappeared.You would have thought if he had to have his electrical circuthry rebuilt,he would have been back by now.
Born on the 23 April 1990 320i Alpinweiss ll kabriolett!
steve_k
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:13 pm

ah wrote:
Cloggy Saint wrote:Has Brian Mooooore also been lured to the dark side? 8O
Yes I'm getting concerned about one of the most helpful person on here why he's disappeared to.you would have thought if he had to have his electrical circuthry rebuilt he would have been back by now
he's still about, there was a post about him on FB, there was a message from one of his family saying he was busy sorting his house i think it was but would be back soon.

also, can't see him being on the zone FB page as i think most newbies would not get his sense of humour.
bmwe30mtech
Engaged to the E30 Zone
Engaged to the E30 Zone

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:20 pm

The good thing about E30 zone on Facebook is that it’s busy. Beyond that, I genuinely can’t understand why people use it. It’s a massive step backwards from a good forum like this one, where topics are divided into sections and there is a logical search function where people can find them again.

I think the user group on the Facebook page is also very different. On a forum people actually write proper responses to threads (and so have to be literate), whereas on Facebook there are constant posts from idiots saying things like ”˜need advice - should I sell E30’ with no details etc, obviously just seeking attention. What’s bizarre, is people actually reply, saying things like ”˜tell us more details!’.

In terms of making money, E30’s spent years passing though the bottom rung of car dealers and people with limited funds, who got to know the cars well. Now they are worth more money, they still attract this group of people. Its’s funny that £15k sports have people crawling all over them because they think they are valuable, and yet a £15k newish Ford would attract no attention at all. I think this mentality of people trying to make money will not disappear quickly, unfortunately.

Perhaps if all of us saying how quiet it is on here now posted more often (me inclused!) then it would be busy again!

Paul
Satan
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:41 pm

It was busy when Pone was here.......
Speedtouch
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:44 pm

Sambino wrote:even speedtouch was kind enough to send me another chip after my last one was damaged.
Hey, I represent that remark! :) I'm not quite sure what to make of it though - does that make me one of the good guys (I try to be) or a badd'un? :?
///M aurice
ECU Upgrade EPROM Chips, £40 posted within the UK. Note these are not Zone chips.
Jesus325iTouring
Frog freak !
Frog freak !

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:44 pm

bmwe30mtech wrote:
Perhaps if all of us saying how quiet it is on here now posted more often (me inclused!) then it would be busy again!

Paul
Like this? :D

X5 V8 for thrills, CRV for chills, Range Rover P38 V8 for sooooo much aggravation...
paultv
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:12 pm

What's Facebook? Anybody?

Paul :-) :D
4th May 1990 325i Convertible.

BMW E30 Cabriolet Best Mod Ever:

http://bmwe30cabriolet-wdm.blogspot.de/
brutus
Trade Seller
Trade Seller

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:05 am

yeah that the spirit !

8)
MANY e30 PARTS 4 SALE

316i baur 1989 , manual.
318i baur 1986 auto.
ChrisHC
E30Zone Contributor

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:33 am

Speaking as a relatively new member, I have found the zone absolutely invaluable, a fantastic resource for an E30 owner. I have looked at FB but I don't see the point, it seems 90% rubbish. As for getting advice, how would you ever find what you wanted to know, except by posting and hoping someone would answer? It is like the difference between having a filing system and a pile of papers on the floor.
paultv
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:29 am

Another point is, Facebook will decline - my son is 15, wouldn't be seen dead on FB, nor my daughter 21 - it's now used by older people who don't realize its an outmoded platform, even FB are trying to lure kids back...

Paul :-) :cool:
4th May 1990 325i Convertible.

BMW E30 Cabriolet Best Mod Ever:

http://bmwe30cabriolet-wdm.blogspot.de/
tcos
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:54 am

Also there is i think a old boys club on here who if something new comes up which "they" have not heard off they instantly take the piss which maybe keeps people from asking or posting any thing they may need advice off?
Not every one was born with a E30 up their rear end!! lol
steve_k
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:19 am

tcos wrote:Also there is i think a old boys club on here who if something new comes up which "they" have not heard off they instantly take the pee pee which maybe keeps people from asking or posting any thing they may need advice off?
Not every one was born with a E30 up their rear end!! lol
i take it you are referring to your thread about the 320i edition S? if so i admit i was one who had never heard of it & claimed it seemed to be a dealer trying their luck & when proved otherwise i accepted i was wrong,

yes there used to be an "old boys club" on here, still is to some degree, i was once called out because i had (& still have) a griffin motorsports stage 3 885 (b25) head that they didn't know existed, but i never go so much as a "sorry" afterwards, it got to a point on here where certain members would only sell certain parts & cars to those in their little clique, i'll admit that i have be guilty of this in the past myself, but that kind of thing will only cause damage to a place like this.

if you think thats bad in the world of e30's have a look at the ford world, it's like the masons with them at times, nearly as bad as the classic jag world.

we need some new blood in the lil world of e30's we've made for ourselves, uta s said before the days of £500 fixer upper's has gone, now every e30 seller thinks they are sat on the crown jewels, same as some who break them for parts, like a window switch i saw on ebay the other week, it was going for over £50 despite the fact it looked worn out yet still folk will continue to pay these (over) inflated prices so the sellers keep upping the price,

it really is getting beyond the joke now.
steve_k
Old Skooler
Old Skooler

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:23 am

also, on here a while back there seem to be a thing that you could only use parts from certain places despite the fact you could find the same thing somewhere else for a better price & sometimes better qaulity elsewhere but because it wasn't from a certain place then the powers that be (old boys club again :roll: ) deemed it as scrap & not worth bothering with.

it's that type of attitude that will sound the death knell for this place if it is allowed to continue, thankfully folk are starting to realise & look else where for what they want.
Sambino
E30 Zone Regular
E30 Zone Regular

Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:22 am

I hope things get better - after reading the comments I’m hopeful- thank u all for your input - good to get different perspectives.

If possible those you are on here at the mo - if possible give your mates a pm or a shout and tell them to swing by. I will be checking in more frequently and hope others will do to.
Cypriotgeeza
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict

Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:22 am

I couldn't agree more with most of the comments in this thread but as I've said before this site needs a little refresh and the interfaces really do need an update! (Yes i know its in the pipeline) This would keep the old schooler's happy as we can post things like pictures and videos with ease and it won't feel like a chore to upload a pic to update a build thread! I remember it would take me ages to upload alllllll the pics I took that day and write my thread when I was deep in my M30 project, some days I couldn't be bothered at all!

Another thing I have stated before is that facebook is just a liking contest for guys with air ride and 3 piece wheels, generic and boring over and over again and people unfortunately lap it up as it is apparently the "in thing" atm..

Give me 60/40 on billy B8's and H&R sport springs and some period wheels anyday...oh yea thats what Ive got :P :snigger:

In conclusion I think a refresh with some easier controls will make the world of difference to this as we have experienced how easy it is on other sites i e facebollox and this feels archaic in comparison.
Project Frankenstein: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=194154
Cypriotgeeza
E30 Zone Addict
E30 Zone Addict

Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:24 am

P.s PLEASE do not add a like button to this site! :o:
Project Frankenstein: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=194154